OIS Home > Coming to NYP > Living in Singapore

Living in Singapore


More than 80% of Singaporeans live in public housing. These apartments, mostly owned by the occupants, are known as HDB apartments because they are built and maintained by the Housing and Development Board (HDB). HDB apartments are located in housing estates, which are self-contained towns with clinics, schools, supermarkets, food centres, as well as sports and recreational facilities.

NYP does not provide hostel accommodation. Students are strongly encouraged to make their own accommodation arrangements. Most international students stay in HDB flats in view of their relative affordability.  International students usually rent  rooms from the owners of HDB flats.


  • Flats approved for rental by HDB, please click here for more information.
  • Located near NYP
  • Accessibility (near bus stops or MRT stations)
  • Free usage of common area like kitchen and study area
  • Provision of basic furniture and furnishing

If you have any questions or if you need any advice on accommodation. You may like to pose them at our student forum.


Students who need help in finding accommodation may wish to check the following websites* for reference: 

Accommodation Websites

8Links Singapore Property

Property Guru

Rent in Singapore


Singapore Rooms DB 


Housing Agencies

Dennis Wee Reality

ERA Real Estate




Private Hostels

Balestier Students Hostel

Katong Hostel Pte Ltd

Milchel Pte Ltd 

Quarters Hostel



The above list is neither exclusive nor exhaustive. It is intended to be used as a reference only. NYP does not guarantee the accuracy of the information nor does it endorse any information presented in the websites listed here. Users are advised to make independent enquiries with the relevant accommodation providers listed in these websites before acting upon or in consideration of this information. Onus will be on students to check on the suitability, reliability and fees chargeable by whichever agencies that they may choose, to help them with their accommodation arrangements in Singapore.


Council for Estate Agents

An approved or certified real agents have to register themselves with the Council for Estate Agents (CEP). To check that your agents is approved by CEP, you can check their names against the CEP’s approved database  and they should be carrying an estate agent card .


Important: Do not sign the tenancy agreement until you have seen the room/apartment and are satisfied with it. Negotiate terms and conditions before renting.

Public Transport

Getting around in Singapore is fast and easy with its extensive and reliable public transport system. For instance, a trip by the MRT train from Yio Chu Kang Station (the station serving the NYP campus) to the city centre takes about 20 minutes.


Indeed, the vast majority of people in Singapore travel to work and school by MRT trains and public buses and they use a common fare card called EZ-link Card. The EZ-link card is a stored-value smart card for travelling on the public transport system. The EZ-link card may be purchased and topped up at most MRT stations and bus interchanges.  


Application of the Tertiary Student EZ-Link Card

The Tertiary Student EZ-Link card is issued to all eligible full time students. ( For more details, please visit  Transitlink ).


For Students who are applying for the EZ-Link Card during NYP's enrolment exercise. The Student Affair (SA) Office will assist in the distribution of the EZ-Link Card to the the students. Please enquire at the SA office at NYP's Block E, Level 4 for more details.

Tele-communications, Internet and Postage


Postal services - If you need to post a letter or a parcel, you can go to any of the 60 post offices operated by SingPost.


You can also buy postal stamps at one of the 200 Self-service Automated Machines (SAMs) located at public areas such as supermarkets, shopping centres and MRT stations.








Telecommunications - There are three service operators, namely SingTel, M1, and StarHub, each offering a wide range of communication services at competitive rates, including:


  • Telephone services
  • Mobile communications services, including mobile phone and paging services
  • Internet access services
  • International telephone services, including IDD services, calling cards, facsimile services.


You can also make International Direct Dialling(IDD) calls at most public phones by using stored-value phone cards or credit cards. Stored-value phone cards are found in denominations of S$2, S$5, S$10, S$20 and S$50 and can be purchased from post offices and phone card agents. International Calling Cards are also available at all post offices, 7-Eleven (24-hour) stores and other retail outlets.