If you have set your sights on a career as a designer, NYP’s School of Design (SDN) will help develop your creative talents.
Design increasingly shapes consumer preferences, creating influences and setting trends regionally and globally. Our team of lecturers who are expert and experienced designers in their own right, will guide you in transforming your imagination into tangible products and innovations, practical and enriching spaces, and effective communication and promotional material. You will receive a solid foundation in design, with strong emphasis on creative design methodology and critical thinking, and a good dose of core design skills such as CAD drawing, digital illustration, spatial planning and design, and presentation & communication.
The three diplomas that we offer are:
SDN – the right choice
SDN has a vibrant and buzzing environment where your imagination and talents are honed to create innovative solutions that touch people’s lives. The design skills that we equip you with, will be put to use in the numerous industry-based projects and design competitions. Our Industrial Attachment Programme provides the opportunity for you to experience and work in the real world. You will also have the opportunity to go overseas, either on exchange programmes with foreign universities, short-term workshops, or longer-term attachment programmes with established design organisations. You will also be thrilled by the seminars and sharing sessions by industry professionals throughout the academic year.
Some of our industry partners are:
- Bali Jani
- City Developments Ltd
- Design Exchange
- Moove Media
- Nestle R&D Center Singapore
- Starlite Printers
SDN – home of winners
Our students have consistently won awards in design competitions when they set their hearts to it. Some of the competitions are:
- SG Mark - Singapore Good Design Award
- Singapore Design Award
- Singapore Furniture Design Award
- Singapore Packaging Star Award
- Asia Star Packaging Award
- Tan Kah Kee Young Inventors Award
- WorldSkills Singapore
- Red Dot Award
If your desire is to create designs that touch people’s lives and make it better, come and join the SDN family. Here, we will nurture and hone your creative skills, and walk together with you on your exciting design journey.
Insight. Inspire. Innovate.
With insight, we inspire our students to innovate ideas and effective communication.
Fun and Functional Concepts by SDN Students Win Awards
- A dialect game, a multifunctional fibreglass stick, a futuristic bike bay, a steam washer, and a concept area for citizens to freely express themselves - these are just some of winning ideas from the School of Design.
- Five SDN students who came up with these fun and functional ideas and concepts recieved the Design Business Chamber Singapore (DBCS) awards at a gala dinner on 13 March 2014. These awards include the Singapore Good Design Mark and Singapore Design Awards.
- One interesting design, for example, was by Leonard Lam (above), a final year Visual Communication student who designed a card game for young adults to learn the Hokkien dialect in a fun and easy way. Leonard’s winning design received both the Singapore Good Design Mark and the Singapore Design Award. He was also featured in Lianhe Zaobao for his invention.
- To find out what inspired Leonard, and more details of the other students’ designs, click here to read our web article.