NYP’s School of Chemical & Life Sciences has expertise in Molecular Biotechnology, Food Science & Pharmaceutical Sciences. It has been assisting the growth of local companies through the development of innovative products for the market, and the provision of safety testing and quality analysis of their products.
Other services provided range from toxicology testing, ISO 17025 safety testing/chemical analysis of traditional Chinese medicines and pharmaceuticals, drug screening, validation studies with animal model systems, scale-up production of recombinant proteins, development of rapid diagnostics, bioinformatics analysis of data and food formulation.
The following services are also available:
A) Molecular Biotechnology
It primarily deals with proteomics and drug development, and the following are offered:
- Detection and measurement of proteins in biological samples, e.g. blood.
- Identification of protein biomarkers.
- Proteomics and chemical analysis of cell culture medium from human embryonic stem cells.
- Development of enhanced competent cells.
- Provision of customized DNA microarray printing services and bioinformatics analysis of microarray data as well as next generation DNA sequencing.
- Development of high speed viral detection systems & diagnostic kits.
- Microbial culture development for bioconversion and analysis of product quality.
- Screening of natural products from NYP’s collection of Singapore fungi for novel therapeutics, industrial enzymes and applications in food, environmental and waste treatment.
B) Food science & nutrition
- Proteomic analysis of ingredients, in-quality and safety evaluation of food products.
- Product safety and quality evaluation; product quality enhancements including market survey; packaging design and shelf-life evaluations.
- Development of novel functional food, beverages.
C) Industrial & System Engineering
- Clinical trials, research & analysis
- Quality assurance & control in pharmaceutical manufacturing
In addition to the above services, NYP’s BioInnovation Center (BIC) offers start-ups and budding entrepreneurs a conducive environment to engage in R&D and product development. Both BIC and other industry-partners can tap on the wide range of staff capabilities, access to student interns, plug-and-play incubator facilities, laboratory equipment and supporting R&D facilities in the field of biotech, pharmaceuticals and food science, which are available for project collaborations.
The following includes some of the industry projects successfully completed:
Development of innovative food products, covering savoury ice-cream, internationally award winning dairy products, soy based products, frozen seafood, sauces, and beverages.
NYP also offers expertise in GMP consultation.
In collaboration with the School of Design, projects infusing creative design in food packaging, novel use of food-grade materials, coupled with shelf-life testing, have been undertaken.
Microbial and chemical testing in accordance to international standard (ISO17025). Shelf-life testing.
Development of safer and more effective TCM products. Scientific validation of efficacy TCM using cell-based assays and animal models. Enhancing TCM safety by proprietary methods to remove herbal-drug interactions and cytotoxicity.
Development and formulation of pharmaceutical products.
Incorporating stability testing for hospital pharmacies.
Identification and determination of concentration of bioactive in human subjects or animal models to validate drug delivery systems.
Development of algorithm to analyze data from proteomics, DNA microarray, and correlating the data to biochemical pathways.
Bioimaging analysis, applications of geographical information system in pidemiology and molecular modelling & docking.