About the Course
NYP has been appointed as the Programme Manager by the SkillsFuture Singapore for Visual Communication and will be launching this new specialist diploma in response to market demand and the need for a course that develops and enhances deeper skills.
NYP’s School of Design (SDN) together with SFIC Institute, the subsidiary training centre of the Singapore Furniture Industries Council (SFIC), co-created this Specialist Diploma, under the SkillsFuture Earn & Learn Programme, to deepen the skills of the post-diploma graduates and to prepare them to enter the furniture and furnishing industry. The course will equip post-diploma graduates with the skills to meet the growing need for design in the furniture and furnishing industry. This includes design studies in lifestyle objects and furnishing, understanding materials, tools of making, production and design validation methodologies. Participants would also learn to offer one-stop solutions by developing competencies and understanding design in its context of the business environment and role in developing client relationships, marketing and strategising.
The Specialist Diploma in Design & Make complements existing training in industrial, product, interior and experience design, and prepares them to provide better value to their employers. Participants would also enhance their ability to understand market strategies and management, allowing them to better manage clients and projects while progressing in their careers. This in turn allows them to contribute to the industry by raising the technical expertise and ability level, in line with the objectives of the Singapore SkillsFuture Framework.
The SkillsFuture Earn & Learn Programme - Specialist Diploma in Design & Make was launched on Monday, 5 June 2017. This is our 3rd ELP and a first of its kind – a collaboration between NYP and a Trade Association, Singapore Furniture Industries Council and its Institute. In this programme, SFIC Institute will develop and deliver 2 of the 8 modules.
Video of the event, courtesy of one of the Participating Employers, Grandwork Interior.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate quality execution with the mastery of practical skills through managing projects and producing results in realising products and services through furniture and furnishing specific material and production knowhow.
- Use systems thinking, to reason effectively, make judgement and decisions and to solve problems that demonstrate unique value that secures commitment and buy-in from employers, client, customers and users.
- Communicate clearly using different mediums and strategies to ensure prompt, accurate and succinct client-centered communications both across disciplines and to experts and non-experts alike, to positively influence project outcomes.
- Work collaboratively with others both in a multi-disciplinary team environment and across cultures to build a credible and ethical studio practice and to achieve mutually beneficial project outcomes.
- Adapt to change demonstrating passion and an enterprising spirit that seizes opportunities and takes risk in managing projects within time constraints.
- Manage goals and time, work independently and be self-directed learners with a tolerance for ambiguity, and to pursue personal mastery and excellence thorough lifelong learning and professional development.