The Work-Learn Programme (WLP) in Social Work aims to extend the work scope of a polytechnic Social Work graduate to become qualified social workers, through academic studies and workplace skills training.
A joint collaboration between Singapore University of Social Sciences (SUSS) and Nanyang Polytechnic's School of Health & Social Sciences, the WLP in Social Work is a SkillsFuture (SSG) initiative. It has a structured on-the-job training and mentorship that will help participants transit better into their workplace.
Key Benefits of this SkillsFuture WLP in Social Work
Fresh polytechnic graduates of the programme can benefit from the following:
A sign-on incentive grant of $5,000 upon completion of the course (for fresh graduates who are Singapore Citizens, and within three years of graduation or Operationally Ready Date for National Servicemen only).
Skills enhancement through on-the-job training and facilitated learning.
Career advancement pathways upon successful completion.
Advanced standing for the SUSS Bachelor in Social Work programme upon completion of modules offered in WLP in Social Work.
The WLP in Social Work is SkillsFuture funded and participating social service organisations will be able to receive SSG subsidies.
- Fresh social work, or equivalent, graduates from local polytechnics who wish to get a head start in their careers, and gain relevant work experience and industry knowledge.
- Social Work Associates, or equivalent, serving in the social service sector who are keen to enhance their skills and pursue career advancement.
The WLP in Social Work is a 12-month part-time work-study programme comprising of 5 Core modules and 1 Elective module. The course starts in January of every year.
Semester 2 (July – December)
1. Introduction to Social Work (20 hours / 5 Credit Units)
2. Introduction to Social Services (20 hours / 5 Credit Units)
3. Social Work Practice and Skills Lab I: Working with Individuals and Families (35.5 hours / 10 Credit Units)
1. Legal and Ethical Issues in Helping Professions (20 hours / 5 Credit Units)
2. Social Work Practice and Skills Lab 3: Working with Organisations and Communities (35.5 hours / 10 Credit Units)
Elective Module (choose any 1):
1. Social Work in Healthcare (20 hours / 5 Credit Units)
2. Families and their Issues (20 hours / 5 Credit Units)
3. Eldercare (20 hours / 5 Credit Units)
Participants who meet the assessment and attendance requirements of all the modules under the WLP in Social Work course will be awarded the respective modular certificates.