The Jobs-Skills Integrator (JSIT) initiative was announced by Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Finance, Mr Lawrence Wong, on 14 Feb 2023.
As the JSIT for the Precision Engineering (PE) sector, Nanyang Polytechnic will:
- Engage companies to understand their manpower and skills needs and review existing training programmes to meet the needs of the industry.
- Partner the Singapore Precision Engineering and Technology Association, SPETA, to engage companies in the association's network.
- Work with employment agencies and other training providers to enhance placement support and training for companies in the sector.
The Precision Engineering (PE) industry is the backbone of the manufacturing industry in Singapore.
According to statistics from the Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB), over 2,700 PE firms supply products and expertise needed to manufacture complex components and equipment used in industries such as semiconductors, medical technology, marine, offshore and aerospace.
The refreshed PE Industry Transformation Map (ITM) 2025 also highlighted that the industry is expected to achieve a manufacturing value-added growth of 3.2 percent annually to S$15.27 billion by 2025. The ITM effort will also create 3,200 new PMET jobs by 2025.
The Centre for Digital and Precision Engineering (CDPE) was officially inaugurated by Mr Leo Yip, then-Chairman, Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB) on 05 Jan 2010.
The state-of-the-art facility is the nerve centre for training precision engineering learners, supporting the developmental and technological needs of the local Precision Engineering (PE) industry, and developing the PE industry of the future.
CDPE focuses on the following competency areas:
- Advanced Machining Technologies,
- Mould Design & Advanced Plastics Processing,
- Integrated Toolroom Solutions,
- Advanced & Nano-metrology,
- Digital Manufacturing and
- Industry 4.0.
Over the years, the centre has established strategic partnerships with leading companies in the precision engineering sector both locally and globally. CDPE continues to work closely with industry partners to help grow the precision engineering sector.