The Biochemical Science Research Group works with Industry and Academia to deliver needs-driven solutions in the following domains:
- Vaccines, Diagnostics & Precision Solutions for Aquaculture
- Complementary & Alternative Medicine - Chemistry & Standards
- Bioactive Compounds for Skincare
- Valorisation & Upcycling Sustainability Solutions
Our multi-disciplinary team leverages on a wide range of research expertise and skills to deliver practical solutions, functional, and affordable research products to solve real-world problems.
All our R&D and Industry projects involve students. Our students gain exposure and develop deep technical and critical thinking skills by partaking in these industry-oriented research projects.
- Super-Intensive Urban RAS Systems for Biofloc Shrimp Culture (MOE-TIF), $203,000, 2020-2022
- Colony-based assay for detection of industrial enzymes in thermophilic bacteria (Capability & Translational Development Grant), $60,000, 2020-2022
- MALDI-ToF-MS bacterial colony analyses for aquatic pathogens and Ribocapture (Capability & Translational Development Grant), $66,000, 2020-2022
- Urban recirculation aquaculture systems for long-term culture of high-value crustacean species (Singapore Millennium Foundation Grant), $741,080, 2019-2022
- Development of Anti-Fish Specific Antibodies for Use as Bioreagents (Capability & Translational Development Grant), $40,000, 2018-2020
- Bioactives for Skin Whitening and Anti-hyperpigmentation Cosmeceuticals (MOE-TIF), $115,165, 2018-2020
- The Effect of In-Class Educational Group Game (EGG) on Students’ Learning Motivation and Academic Achievement (MOE-TRF), $63,650, 2017-2019
- Min, N., Leong, P.T., Lee, R.C.H., Khuan, J.S.E. and Chu, J.J.H., 2018. A flavonoid compound library screen revealed potent antiviral activity of plant-derived flavonoids on human enterovirus A71 replication. Antiviral research, 150, pp.60-68.
- Chin, A.L., Yang, S.M., Chen, H.H., Li, M.T., Lee, T.T., Chen, Y.J., Lee, T.K., Petibois, C., Cai, X., Low, C.M. and Tan, F.C.K., 2020. A Synchrotron X-ray Imaging Strategy to Map Large Animal Brains. Chinese Journal of Physics.
- Sim, D.S.Y., Navanesan, S., Sim, K.S., Gurusamy, S., Lim, S.H., Low, Y.Y. and Kam, T.S., 2019. Conolodinines A–D, Aspidosperma–Aspidosperma Bisindole Alkaloids with Antiproliferative Activity from Tabernaemontana corymbosa. Journal of natural products, 82(4), pp.850-858.
- • Yeap, J.S.Y., Navanesan, S., Sim, K.S., Yong, K.T., Gurusamy, S., Lim, S.H., Low, Y.Y. and Kam, T.S., 2018. Ajmaline, Oxindole, and Cytotoxic Macroline–Akuammiline Bisindole Alkaloids from Alstonia penangiana. Journal of natural products, 81(5), pp.1266-1277.
- Chua, M.L., Setyawati, M.I., Li, H., Fang, C.H.Y., Gurusamy, S., Teoh, F.T.L., Leong, D.T. and George, S., 2017. Particulate matter from indoor environments of classroom induced higher cytotoxicity and leakiness in human microvascular endothelial cells in comparison with those collected from corridor. Indoor air, 27(3), pp.551-563.
- Zhou, H., George, S., Li, C., Gurusamy, S., Sun, X., Gong, Z. and Qian, H., 2017. Combined toxicity of prevalent mycotoxins studied in fish cell line and zebrafish larvae revealed that type of interactions is dose-dependent. Aquatic toxicology, 193, pp.60-71.
- Singapore Patent No. 10201607551U: A Method of Authenticating Edible Bird's Nest.
- Canadian Patent No. 2,758,172: A Plant extract comprising statins and preparation techniques and uses thereof.
- Vietnam Patent No. 17163: Method of preparing an extract from plant comprising statins
- China Patent P-No. 1577382: Plant extract.
- Malaysia Patent No. ZL201080024948.0: A Plant extract comprising statins and preparation techniques and uses thereof.
- Singapore Patent Application No. 201208059-4, Patent No. 188941: Small molecules for extending the wellbeing of cells and methods of use thereof
- PCT/SG2016/050136. NUS and NYP joint patent: Drugs from Substituted Phenyl Cinnamyl Ketones
Licensing deal with A1 Environmental for an IP on converting coffee waste into “Coffee Plastics” (March 2020)
- Ministry of Education (MOE)-Innergy Award (Gold) 2019 for the project entitled "Use of Education Group Game (EGG) to Improve Students' Interest and Academic Achievement in Content-Heavy Topics"
- Ministry of Education (MOE)-Innergy Award (Silver) 2019 for the project entitled "Rapid, non-destructive and on-site authentication method for edible bird’s nest"
- Ministry of Education (MOE)-Innergy Award (Silver) 2018 for the project entitled "Mangrove Crab Grading Strategies for Seafood Restaurants in Singapore"
- Ministry of Education (MOE)-Innergy Award (Gold) 2015 for the project entitled “Fish Vaccine for Singapore by Team Creative Urban Sustainable Aquaculture (CUSA)”
- PS21 Excel Award 2015, Most Innovative Project/Policy (GOLD) Creative Urban Sustainable Aquaculture (CUSA)
- Ministry of Education (MOE) Exemplary Innovator 2019- Dr Subramaniam Gurusamy
- Ministry of Education (MOE) Exemplary Innovator 2018- Dr Mark Richards
- Ministry of Education (MOE) Exemplary Innovator 2017- Dr Saji George
- PS21 Excel Award 2015, Innovation Champion (Silver), MOE-NYP- Dr Jeff Seng Eng Khuan