The course is designed to equip participants with theoretical knowledge and skills to perform safe and effective venepuncture on adults and to familiarise participants with all aspects of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Upon successful completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- State the basic principles in infection control and safe patient handling.
- Demonstrate the steps in donning and removing Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- Perform the correct technique in venepuncture and collection of blood specimens.
- Describe the complications related to venepuncture and its management.
- Demonstrate safe handling of specimen and documentation.
Individuals (nurses, paramedics and medical technologists) who wish to learn the correct technique in venepuncture and the collection of blood specimens for patients for laboratory testing.
- Infection control and safe patient handling
- PPE training
- Procedure & practice in venepuncture and blood specimen collection
- Complications related to venepuncture and its management
- Quality assurance in Phlebotomy
- Safe handling of specimen and documentation
Participants will be issued with a Certificate of Completion upon meeting the required course attendance and competency assessment.
Course participants would deem to have met the competency of venepuncture upon completion of the course and passing the competency tests. Participants may be required to undergo an orientation and on-the-job training (OJT) as part of on-boarding at their employing institution or practice setting.
(Kindly note that the course does not have an OJT component).
Click here for more information.