Living up to its aim of preparing our graduates for life and work, the School of Business Management’s ITP provides students in their final year with attachments that range from 10 to 24 weeks (depending on Diploma Programme) to business organisations.
The objectives of the ITP are to provide the student intern with:
- A practice-oriented and ‘hands-on’ working experience in the real world or industry, and to enhance the student’s learning experience.
- An opportunity to develop a right work attitude, self-confidence, interpersonal skills and ability to work as a team in a real organisational setting.
- An opportunity to further develop and enhance operational, customer service and other life-long knowledge and skills in a real world work environment.
- Pre-employment training opportunities, and an opportunity for the company or organisation to assess the performance of the student and to offer the student an employment opportunity after his/her graduation, if it deems fit.
Students from the following Diplomas are available for internships during the year.
- Diploma in Accountancy and Finance
- Diploma in Business Management
- Diploma in Banking & Finance
- Diploma in Food & Beverage Business
- Diploma in Fund Management & Administration
- Diploma in Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Diploma in Marketing
- Diploma in Mass Media Management
- Diploma in Sport and Wellness Management
Upon successful completion of this module, the student intern would:
- Have gained knowledge and a broader perspective of the industry relevant career opportunities.
- Have deepened relevant knowledge and skills so as to be well placed to pursue a career in a chosen discipline.
- Be able to understand instructions and synthesize information from various sources to perform duties assigned by his/her Supervisor independently.
- Be able to demonstrate how academic knowledge is used and applied in addressing and resolving real world work environment challenges and issues.
- Be able to exercise team work and exhibit strong communication and collaboration skills when working with people in real world work situation.
- Have developed understanding of the need to have good work ethics and exhibit professional conduct at work.
- Be able to apply an innovative & enterprising mindset, critical thinking and problem solving skills to work-related issues.
Students on the Overseas Internship Programme (OITP) do their internship at leading Companies overseas for up to 24 weeks. The work attachment develops in students a good work attitude, a practice-oriented mindset, and provides them real-life work experiences related to their field of study in a foreign country. By applying what they have learnt during their internship at the host companies, the students’ learning process is enhanced. In addition, students obtain in-depth exposure to the foreign socio-cultural environments that they are in. Some of the Companies that our students have interned at include Disneyworld in Orlando USA, Ovolo Hotels & Resorts in Hong Kong, Banyan Tree Lang Co in Vietnam and Sakae Holdings, Malaysia, among others.